1. It's 12-21-12 and we're all still here. Looks like the Mayan doomsday didn't quite like up to its hype, but we are still in for some ugly weather today. Expect lots of winds occasional rain in the morning and then a few showers late today. The morning temperatures will reach a high of 52 degrees, but then fall to near 40. Forecasters predict about a half an inch of rainfall, with occasional wind gusts more than 40 mph.
2. Patch is among the many websites which will display a tribute to victims of the Sandy Hook shooting over their sites on Friday at 9:30 a.m. Deer Park-North Babylon Patch will have a momentary blackout at this time to remember the 20 students and six adults killed in the massacre.
3. All Suffolk County Fire Departments and Districts have been advised of the national commemoration for Sandy Hook Victims today. Fire Departments and Districts can voluntarily sound their alarms 26 times at 9:45 a.m. in honor of the 26 victims of the Sandy Hook tragedy and to honor fellow firefighters and EMS personnel who responded to this incident. Do not be alarmed if repeated sirens are heard in the area. This sound is a tribute to the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting.
4. Need to send a last-minute Christmas gift? Here is a
5. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority on Tuesday voted to raise its fares across the board, including a 9 percent Long Island Rail Road hike set to impact Long Island commuters and travelers in March.