Our pets are part of the family, so of course we want to involve them in our holiday celebrations. While Christmas can be a fun and festive time for all of our two and four-legged family members, it is important that pet parents take precautions to keep the furry ones safe this season. Willow Pet Hotel would like to offer our community a few Christmastime tips:
Holly Jolly. Some common holiday plants can be a real hazard to pets! Holly, mistletoe, and poinsettias are all toxic if your pet ingests them. If you’re planning to decorate with these plants, make sure they are out of all your pets’ reach and watch out for dried leaves that fall off the plant and dispose of them carefully!
O, Christmas Tree. O Christmas tree, each shining light, each silver bell attracts a cat to want to play with oh so well. Your tree can pose a problem for cats and dogs alike. Most cats can access the tree, so make sure it is well-anchored; many cats like to jump into the boughs and can knock a tree over, making a mess and injuring themselves. It is also important to note that the fertilizer used on Christmas tree farms can be toxic to pets, so make sure dogs and cats aren’t drinking from the water in the base. If you are afraid they might sneak a sip, adding some Tabasco or pepper fakes to the water can deter them.
Deck the Halls. Many of your decorations might be hazardous to your pet. Fragile ornaments should be hung high enough to not tempt your dog to play with them, which could result in broken glass. Tinsel, if ingested, can cause injury to your pets’ intestines, and ribbon can be a choking hazard. If you have a puppy or any pet that likes to chew, light strands and other exposed electrical cords can be very dangerous. Any candles with open flames should be kept well out of the range of curious cats and dogs.
If you are careful and watchful of your pets this season, you can all have a wonderful holiday together! The Willow Pet Hotel wishes your entire family a healthy and happy holiday, and a wonderful New Year!